Nursery Sales Associate Full-Time (5 days/40 hours per week)
The Nursery Sales Associate reports to the Nursery Sales Manager and is responsible for providing excellent customer service, plant care (including watering, weed control and pest management), updating the weekly inventory (including data entry), and maintaining the grounds within the sales area.
TPF is seeking an energetic individual with strong interpersonal skills who enjoys working with a team. In addition to assisting customers, sales staff is responsible for preparing the sales yard for incoming plants, labeling plants and moving them into the sales yard each week, and pulling plant orders for will-call customers and off-site TPF events. Candidate should be willing and able to work outdoors in all weather conditions. This position requires frequent heavy lifting, bending and walking on uneven terrain.
- Assisting and educating customers about gardening with native plants
- Generating sales tickets
- Promoting classes, sales, tours, and other events
- Updating weekly inventory
- Labeling and moving plants into sales yard
- Keeping sales yard neat and orderly
- Caring for plants and managing pests in the sales yard
- Recognizing and managing vertebrate and invertebrate pests in the sales yard
- Watering plants in containers and grounds
- Weeding, pruning, and maintaining grounds within the sales yard
- Supervising volunteers to assist with the above duties
- Commitment to Quality – ability to commit to personal high-quality workmanship and behavior in all facets of nursery sales, as well as team interpersonal relationships.
- Commitment to Task – ability to persist and accomplish work in spite of obstacles, setbacks, and distractions, without direct supervision.
- Attention to Detail – ability to attend to details at the level necessary for successful completion of the work to established standards. Ability to adjust level of attention required in order to maximize productivity.
- Communication – ability to comprehend and act on detailed verbal or written instructions.
- Safety – ability to correctly anticipate safety hazards and take steps to avoid unsafe conditions.
- Training – ability and desire to learn and improve upon nursery-related competencies to refine or gain new and additional skills and add to professionalism.
- Ability to lift and carry 35 lbs., move plants, pull, load and unload carts on a regular basis
- Visual acuity sufficient to gauge plant health, insects, disease, as well as read labels, written instruction, and documentation.
- Ability to tolerate working outside during cold, wet, winter as well during hot summer conditions
- Nursery sales or comparable retail experience
- Horticultural background preferred
- Knowledge of CA native plants preferred
- Basic computer skills
Schedule: Tuesday through Saturday
Pay Rate: $13.50/hour
Send resume and cover letter to Flora Ito at firstname.lastname@example.org