NEW! SUMMER PRE-ORDER PLANT SALE
Here’s an offer that’s sure to please: our first-ever Summer Pre-order Plant Sale. This incentive is for gardeners who: 1) may have missed their local rebates; 2) are new to planting a native garden; 3) wish to turn their yard into a drought-tolerant, resource-conserving haven for humans and native wildlife; or 4) want to save money (and who doesn’t?). If you identify with any or all of these descriptions and are ready to get your hands dirty, read on.
How the sale works: Through September 30, you can pre-order a minimum of 20 1-gallon plants from a selected list. Then, come fall, you pick up your plants and install your garden. This timetable echoes our mantra: “Summer planning, Fall planting,” with autumn being the best season to start or embellish a native garden.
TPF members receive a discount of 20%. The non-member discount is 10%.
(Not yet a member? Join when you order!)
Quantities are limited. The sale runs through September 30 or as long as supplies last.
Plants on the pre-order list (including Calliandra californica, above, and Sphaeralcea ambigua var. ambigua, below) are selected for their ability to take on challenging environmental conditions with enough diversity for both the novice and experienced gardener. These beautiful backbone plants will enrich any garden design, thrive in both coastal and inland locations, pair well with each other and existing garden plants, and accept a range of cultural conditions, including:
- Slow-draining, heavy clay soil, as well as looser fast-draining soil
- Hot sunny spots OR partly shaded locations, depending on the plant
- Imperfect watering. Though all selections on the list are drought tolerant, once established, these species and cultivars can withstand imbalances in soil moisture that may occur during establishment (especially with new or busy working gardeners).
Once your order form is received, we will send a confirmation of availability and total cost. To lock in your order, we ask for payment at the time of confirmation.
Our Summer Pre-Order Plant Sale offers a varied palette of sturdy plants, and lets you save money and more easily plan your fall planting. We hope you will enjoy mixing and matching, based on your garden’s conditions and, of course, your taste and aesthetics. The benefit to all: more native plant gardens will be added this fall to our California landscape.
Need help with your garden design and deciding which plants you need?
– Sign up for one of TPF’s new Designer Days, July 23 or August 20.
– Attend our California Native Plant Horticulture class and Three-Part Native Garden Design course (offered regularly)
– Stroll through TPF’s demonstration gardens to see maturing and mature examples of plants.
– Hire a professional from TPF’s Landscape Pros list (available in the Store or Sales Yard).
– For design ideas and plant profiles, read California Native Plants for the Garden and/or Reimagining the California Lawn (both available in the TPF store).
Images courtesy of Madena Asbell