Director of Communications and Events
The Director of Communications and Events (DOCE) will be responsible for overseeing all public communications from the Theodore Payne Foundation (TPF), including social media, website, email newsletters, print and video. Acting as the lead contact for media requests and outreach, they will coordinate requests and seek opportunities for TPF staff to connect with media. In addition to these typical communications roles, the DOCE will oversee the annual Native Plant Garden Tour and annual fundraising event with strong support from TPF staff and board. The Director of Communications and Events reports to the Executive Director, and forms part of the senior leadership team for the organization. This is a full time (40 hours per week), salaried position, with some evening and weekend work required.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop unique content (written, photographic, video, etc) for the TPF membership.
- Oversee TPF communications and marketing, including social media, newsletters, printed materials, and video.
- Oversee special events, primarily the annual Native Plant Garden Tour and annual fundraiser.
- Manage websites, supervising IT contractors when needed.
- Develop long-term communications and marketing strategy in collaboration with the staff and board.
- Handle all media requests, connecting them to relevant staff and make compelling pitches and press releases to media organizations.
- Help expand the TPF audience by creating content that reaches and connects with diverse communities.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Five or more years of relevant professional experience.
- Excellent visual design skills, writing abilities and creativity.
- Proficiency in graphic design software including Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, and other visual design tools.
- Basic video editing experience or willingness to learn.
- Basic understanding of technical aspects of web development (WordPress) and ability to work with software developers.
- An ability to learn new skills, and maintain a diverse workload.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Experience with or a strong interest in learning about horticulture, the outdoor industry, environmental justice and California native plants.
- Experience in event planning desired.
- Fluency in Spanish highly desired.
- Vacation/Sick/Holiday paid time off
- Health and Dental Coverage
- Staff discount
Send cover letter, resume, references, salary requirements and examples of previous work (written and graphical) to email@example.com with the subject heading of: Director of Communications and Events